22 Jun 2013

The heat of the day

I forget if I`ve said anything about the weather here or not but the last few days here had been murder. Heat soaked through the air and beat down on us. Thankfully it wasn`t humid but it might as well had been, my sister and I could bearly handle it to such a point that even she was suffering from heat exhaustion.
So as a solution, we made the obvious choice. We decided to go to Trümelbachfalle!!
The program described it as being  a series of chutes you could hike through to see a waterfall within. We had always planned on going there but Wednesday seemed to be the perfect day to go. We set out early, of course, to avoid the heat we knew was coming. That day was predicted to be above 94 degrees.We even managed to do a good deed of a sort, helping a group who were headed in the same direction get there. I was so scared I`d get the directions mixed up and get not only me an` my sister lost, but the whole group who thought I knew where I was going. But we got there, I did not get any of us lost.

NOW it started to get hot. We got there just as we started feeling it breathe down our backs. We rushed to the shade of the trees and were welcomed into their shady embrace with relief.

 After paying the proper entrance fee, we both felt so excited for no reason. Jesse even started SKIPPING! We were just so excited and happy to be outside. The forest was amazing, our redwood trees at home paled in comparison with the green you can find here. Well, duh, afterall, their called redwood trees for a reason. But it was so nice to be able to step under the shade of the trees on a hot day. So much so that we ran up more than half the way now keep in mind, the whole way is stairs because we are literally climbing a cliffside.

So the waterfall itself is not exactly off the cliffside but nor is it in the cliff itself. It`s more like the waters run through here so long that erosion has dragged the falls deep into the embrace of the earth. Running from one edge to another. To actually see the falls, you need to go through a series of natural chutes where stairs were placed for the convenience of tourists like us. And all you did was climb higher and higher and deeper into the cold embrace of the earth. Just to the see the falls where little of the nautural light did reach. Some chutes brought us so close that I had that problem with the camera again, where it focus on the water droplets instead of the image itself. 



We had lunch once we were back down. Though we were thourghaly soaked as we made our way down, we were dry by the time we sat down to eat the ham sandwiches I had prepared (tyipical Swiss food, I know). We also snacked on grapes that I had bought that morning. They`re worth 7 dollars a pound here! That`s scary!!! But we missed fruit so much we couldn`t resist buying a bags worth, even if they did have seeds.
We finished with the whole thing surprisingly early. So we decided to follow some of Mariann`s advice and headed towards Interlaken, which apparently, and I quote "a city worth visiting." Our train took us to Interlaken Ost (Ost I later learned means east) and got off to wander. We wanted to find mainstreet but there was no hint or sign to let us know where it might be located. We prety much just picked  the biggest street we saw and walked down it, hoping we`d end up on Main Street eventually. Our pick was a lucky one and after a gelato stop for Jesse (it was so hot in the city that it wasn`t even funny, there was hardly any shade along the sidewalk) we found ourselves at tourist central. We had wound up in Interlaken West, which goes to show just how far we had walked. But once there, we couldn`t resist stopping in the cheesy tourist shops. I found a good few souviners for my lil` brother and a hat for myself (note, for ME Corrin).


After all that, we decided to head back, all our previous energy was completely sapped to such a point that I found it hard to even take a single step. I, to my embarrasment, managed to fall asleep on the train ride back...


*Ahem* Yeah...I was tired, alright!! Do you know how hard it is to NOT fall asleep on a train?!? ...*sigh* I`m getting nowhere with this, am I? Oh well, more later...

With love,
A & J

No comments:

Post a Comment