20 Jun 2013

Engelberg

Yeesh, I can almost hear all of you breathing down my neck. Yes, again this is a late post but what can I do? A girl needs her beauty rest, I`m posting when I can.

So I owe you all to what my sister an` I did Tuesday. Take a BIG wild guess without looking at the title which I bet you`ve already done. Yep! There it is, we went to Engelberg, another idea of Mariann. Her original plan was to take us up to Titles, a famous skiing place for tourists and the reason Engelberg is so bustling but, since it cost too much of a pretty penny for the two of us, we had to pass. We`re still trying to get our host family to realize that if it`s not part of the program then it comes out of our own pocket. Instead we went hiking, what other better thing to do in Switzerland? Of course, it was above 90 degrees outside, so a waterfall is only logical, right?
We did not expect to find what we did. You heard them before you got near and then you could feel the mist on your face if the wind was blowing just right. So I get out my camera, ready to get some awesome pictures of the falls to baffle you all. I did not take into account how WET it`d be. I could not get within a twenty foot radius of the falls without my lenses being blinded by the water and even if I stood at a distance the camera kept INSISTING on focusing on the water droplets on the lens instead of the object of interest. I hope I got some good ones amoung all the fuzzy ones. There must be ONE good one among them, right?


So after seeing two waterfalls and nearly losing ourselves in the woods (more than once despite Mariann saying it was impossible to get lost) we decided to head back to Engelberg. Although Engelberg was famous for all its activities for all tourists, my sister and I had no money to spend (at least, not enough of it) which meant there was little for us to do except hike. Of course, after hiking for more than four hours wore my sister out more than she`d like to admit. It`s strange, she`s the one who`s been suffering from the heat when I`m the one who`s usually more succeptable. She was tired. We found our way to the Bahnhoff (trainstation) with my awesome sense of direction and she got an ice cream and a cold cola while I snacked on Gummi Bears (how I`ve missed Gummi Bears) and, slowly, she began to recover. I think it was the train ride, itself, that brought her back. We had the...*ahem* FORTUNE of sitting behind the perfect steriotypical image of Young American Adults, namely a group of traveling college girls from Chicago. Loud and blond. They had no qualms about gossiping about their latest boyfriend troubles and how to make sure you got to have sex with him as well as that dislikable girl who slept with two men and made out with seven guys in one day. Jesse had trouble keeping the Cola out of her nose while I had to focus on not choking on my gummies.
Through some miracle we survived the trip and came off rolling with laughter. Never before had I seen a more perfect example of how the rest of the world must see us Americans.

That`s all for tonight, I hope to catch you all up on the action by Saturday.
With love for those at home and elsewhere,
Alex an` Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment