11 Jun 2013

Discover Switzerland Day 1 and 2

Hello, I'm Keya Braun; I'm half Swiss and German but I grew up in South India. It is the first time I'm  in Switzerland without my parents and I decided to get to know my native country a little better.
On the first day I visited Bern. I took a long walk to the ASO and then I continued on to the Bären Park. There I managed to spot 3 bears, they looked very peaceful and not at all bothered by all the cameras that everyone was pointing at them.
I then walked on to the Botanical gardens. There I learnt about butterfly's, bees and medicinal plants, it was all very interesting. All the plants and trees have name plates and some of the plates had more detailed information on them. The garden is landscaped in a creative way, it is very beautiful.
While walking around the historic city center I noticed that all the streets were laid out in a organised manner that still functions today. The Zytglogge tower served as a guard tower in former times and today it is a clock tower.









On the second day I traveled to Luzern. From the railway station I proceeded to the Swiss museum of Transport. The exhibits there are all incredibly interesting, one of the most interesting exhibits was the evolution of the railway system. I particularly enjoyed walking underneath one of the old trains because i got to observe the machinery in a way that is normally not possible.
After visiting the museum I went to see the Nadelwehr and the Spreuerbrücke. The Nadelwehr allows the level of the lake to be regulated by hand since it was constructed in 1859. This is done through the removal and placement of wooden posts. The Spreuerbrücke was once connected to the city's mills, after they burnt down in 1875 the mills were replaced by turbines. After about 50 years the turbines became outdated and were thus replaced by an electricity generator. This generator produces up to 4.3 million kWh per year.
I really enjoyed my trip to Luzern, it is an exquisite city and the lake is extremely beautiful.


1 comment: